Wednesday, December 2, 2009

1/7/09: Update #2: Training for the Marathon

Today the goal was to get John onto his feet for a little walking. This involves unhooking all the tubes and getting him re-hooked to be mobile with the epidural/iv holder. When we got him sitting this morning he was really dizzy but we got him standing. The walk was short, out of his room and back, but a walk none the less. Later in the day, we tried again. This time, he felt better and set a goal to make it to a color change in the carpet. When we got back close to his room, He said he had more in him and went to the window. That was a great walk. Something extra special is that as soon as we got back from that walk and he got situated, flowers showed up from Team Chockstone. He loved them and the timing was perfect. This afternoon we watched some tv and everything was going well. I left to get a workout and when I came back, his pain had increased, so they upped the meds a bit. Also, about that time, there was a new nurse assigned to us and she realized we were minor local celebrities and upgraded us to the rockstar room, which was much bigger than our regular room. Once we got John in there, it was time for one more walk. This was about 5 times as long as the second walk and he paraded his fine self down to the nurses station to show off. He's thinking maybe I should bring his motorcycle chaps in to wear for the walks.

He's also requested that I bring him some fishnets to replace these white knee highs...

His progress is going extremely well. The things that are supposed to go down are going down and everything they measure is at the level its supposed to be. I have high hopes for tomorrow as well.

To answer some questions that I've been asked: We are at Providence in NE. Visiting time is coming, and I'll just want you to let me know so I can do some coordinating and we don't end up with 10 people there (even our rockstar room can't accomodate that and we also have to let the nurses do their stuff) I know a lot of people are volunteering to cook for us once we get home. Here's the thing. Food, in any real state, won't be for a while. He'll be on liquids and then to a limited diet, which even I'll be able to handle preparing. and the cat just eats cat food and the fish eat crickets and if you know me, you know that I survive basically on nachos and peas, so please use your culinary skills to make something for your family and toast us when you eat it. However, if you want to bring a 6 pack of beer over, John can't drink it and I have really enjoyed telling him how awesome it tastes. It will be even better when I can do it in front of him.

John said to tell everyone hi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment